Welcome Home Inigo!

Months ago I googled up “Inigo Montoya painting”
and found this thumbprint image…
little did I know he was the real deal

If by chance you should ever write about your love of black velvet paintings and Mandy Patinkin, and, you just so happened to post your wish to commission a portrait of Inigo Montoya on your blog, well, don’t be surprised if out of the blue you get an email that says, Hi. Your wish has come true!

Fast forward to last Friday, to me, standing in the crowded downtown Chicago post office tearing apart a giant cardboard box with my teeth —no literally, with my teeth—only to behold the latest member of my household: Inigo Montoya has come home!

The guy next to me stopped filling out his postage forms and exclaimed, Praise Jesus!

While the woman behind the counter smirked, Crazy white lady.

Y’all. This is good. I mean, real good. Obviously I am a fan of the subject but the quality of the painting wasn’t something I was expecting. It is superb. These photographs don’t do him justice. I wish you could see him in person. He looks real. His eyes follow you around the room. It’s kind of amazing.

The artist is Bruce White, North Carolina native, tattoo artist and painter extraordinaire. If you are in the market for a one-of-a-kind work of art that is guaranteed to start a conversation, you need to check him out! Bruce’s portfolio is filled with just about every movie icon and cult hero you could ever hope for. Star Wars fan ahoy!

I plan to get him properly framed after I move, but until then I have him temporarily hanging on the faux velvet wallpaper above my bed. And just to make it even more weird, I put a frame of twinkle lights around it. Awesome much?

Between the lights and the dark velvet and the eyes that follow you around the room, Inigo has become pinnacle of some sort of diabolic shine. Friday night I went to bed I felt like I should have brought an offering of goat’s blood. Now he’s had a few days to settle and I find more and more to love about this painting every time I look at him  it him ithim or it? I can’t decide. But perhaps thats the hallmark of a true art – the piece takes on a presence and personality far larger than the confines of a canvas. He It feels like a real person.

Welcome home Inigo!

Thanks again to Bruce White for making my wish come true! You can check out Bruce’s work or follow him on facebook and twitter.

OH MY GOD THIS MAKES ME WANT TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS AND MAYBE DANCE AROUND A BIT. Best. Thing. Ever. And today is The Best Day Ever as I now know this exists.

This. Is. AWESOME. I wonder what my more-traditional hubby would think if I got an extra-large velvet Inigo and put it over the fireplace, replacing our quaint family portrait….?

SO AWESOME! as for the temporary hanging – i think it looks cool! :)

4. Joan says

This is fan freakin tastic. My hub is big on gwar, do you think he could do them? Now that would be a conversation piece!!!!!!!!

Definitely “him,” not “it!” He’s even more fantastic than I imagined!

6. Anonymous says

Love the velvet Inigo! I’m also curious about something; where did you get that magnificent velvet wallpaper? Is it sort of like a sheet of velvet that’s been cut(So that there are gaps between each design in the velvet) with adhesive on the back, or is it one solid piece with a background color already there, like velvet on top of wallpaper basically? I have so many ideas for using something like that.

it is truly a thing of beauty and a sight to behold. congratulations!

I am very glad you like it! And I’m very happy that Inigo found a good home!

I love this. I honestly cry every time I watch his scene. Also, I’ve been reading your blog for a while now, but never before posted…Inigo really brings people together :)

OMG I love this with all of my heart! Every last drop! Brilliant work! I’m stunned and awed!

holy shit… he does deserve a shrine. But I sincerely hope you will not encounter any goats anytime soon!

BEAUTIFUL!!!! You will have to show us the final framing once you move into your new place, of course! And yes, he looks quite lively on black velvet. LOVE IT!!!!

@Joan –contact Bruce about that, I’m not sure if he takes commissions. Gwar on velvet sounds terrifying to me. Your husband will love it!

@Annon –hey thanks! I should clarify though, technically, it’s not wallpaper, it’s giant fabric curtains from Ikea that a friend gave me a while ago (I just happen to hang them same as wallpaper). I like your idea though about the cut-outs –have you seen these? http://www.danikacheryle.com/ they are meant for Ikea furniture but you could paint or spray flock them and slice/dice as you see fit. I really like them and am still figuring a way to use them….I’ll keep you posted!

I will definitely hang him with a frame too with those lights around him. That is kinda perfect. The painting looks so real. Great artist and with a great painter and the outcome is masterpiece!

hahahahaha!! That is amazing!! Best. Movie. Ever.

16. Anonymous says

rice.dk -they must read this blog -a toy rhino pin cushin? and more :)

Awesome painting! Now I must go watch the Princess Bride for the umpteenth time. :D

i don’t know what’s more inspiring. the fact that you had such a specific, wonderful wish, or the fact that it was fulfilled. ahhh, inigo montoya/wonderful mandy patinkin.

I. Am. So. Jealous!(in a good way) How wonderful is that?! I watch The Princess Bride at least once a week… I have it on when I craft, I switch between that & My Fair Lady(which makes me think of you btw). I <3 Inigo Montoya! I love your blog & enjoy your creativity and carefree spirit!

20. TomandLisaT says

Prepare to… BE AWESOME!!! I didn’t even know I wanted this until I saw it on your blog! Offer me anything I ask for….I want my father back, you son of a bi&@#! Too much greatness for words. Congratulations on having this dream come true!

I just saw other portraits by Bruce White, he did great job especially with Inigo’s portrait. Inigo character was awesome at The Princess Bride novel. Your room looks great with Inigo portrait :) It may be look more awesome if you use digital frame or banner printing to hang on your wall.

1. […] on the movie The Princess Bride. And you know how I feel about The Princess Bride. And I have an Inigo Montoya on black velvet painting to prove […]

2. […] I like any art that elevates favorite characters to mythological demigod status (Hello Inigo Montoya.).  I like it even better when I can buy a whole set of linoleum block prints for $7.50, […]