Friday Flower: The Paper Hyacinth

It’s nearly mid-March. Do you know what that means?

Magnolia season. Dogwood season. Bulb season.

And the hyacinths are nearly here!

TOP FIVE FLOWERS ACCORDING TO MOI
Stargazer Lily
Hyacinth
Dandelion
Shasta Daisy
Homegrown Rose

1.    Don’t anyone write me an email declaring outrage over the lack of calla lilies on the list. Relax. This isn’t the Olympics. They can try out again before their peek has passed.

2.    Yes, I am an eccentric, sequined cat lady and I can have Top Five Flowers list if I want to. You might have a list of Top Five Restaurants, or Top Five Friends, or Top Five Nights Involving Pantyhose, Grain Alcohol and a Muskrat. To each his own. No judgments.

There are few things I love more in life than the smell of the first March hyacinth. The window for it’s arrival gets narrower every year, and when you find it, not only does it come accompanied by a beautiful flower, it comes heralding the best news you have heard in months: Spring is officially here.

Huzzah!

I have been wanting to make paper hyacinths for years but could never figure out how to create the delicate frillyness, until last fall, when I found a vintage cookbook with directions on how to make those little white ruffles that go on the end of turkey legs (name anyone?)

So, really, these aren’t so much hyacinths as they are big pink and purple turkey legs.

Note on tissue paper: Rumpled old tissue paper works best on this one. If you do not have any old stuff, wad it up for a day or two before you start –it will help the fibers to relax a little which will prevent them from tearing so easily.

Also, as you may have noticed above, my tissue paper has a big stain on it –the result of a simple water spill (all the colors in the stack ran together)…it gives some of the flowers a two tone effect that I think is pretty neat. But you could skip that. Or just spill water on a stack of colors and get them to run on purpose for a mottled/watercolor effect. That might be cool, no?

OK. Let’s get this party started.
Begin by cutting some long skinny rectangles of tissue paper and fold in half on the long edge. My
rectangles started as 3″x18″ but you could play with the proportions to get all sorts of cool results. I like to work in stacks of four, but you could do a lot more if you are the delicate and efficient type. I am the rhinoceros type, so I stick to no more than four.
Snip the fringe (or fringesnip if you are sassy enough to pull off that kind of verb) on the folded edge. The narrower the better, just be sure to leave the outer half inch in tact.
Adhere one end of the tissue fringe to the end of a straw and start rolling. Go around the top three, maybe four times then start spiraling downward.
Use a piece of tape to adhere the end of the fringe. Add a leaf if you want. I think they are more authentic looking without the leaves, but a little green won’t hurt.

And that’s it! They don’t smell as nice as hyacinth but they sure are pretty :)

Happy weekend!

Come stop by my site to read the full post!

Comments

i love these!!! love love them. i just included your coffee filter papers in a paper flower round up. i should go back in time to add these in there as well.
    i can’t wait to try them…they kind of look like classier, gigantor versions of frilly toothpicks. with leaves.

You are amazing!!! DO you know that? Simply amazing!! There is a special place in heaven waiting for you to come create new stars and moons and worlds to share with the rest of us!

3. Michelle L. says

A whole new animal has been created! I have never seen a paper hyacinth (granted, I haven’t looked), and these are just stunning, adorable and cool!

Genius to adapt the turkey leg frill!!!

You know, I saw that in Pinterest –I wish she told us how she made them. Do you think it’s just twisted up crepe paper streamers? I would love to do this but you need a giant room to pull off that sort of scale. Hmmm….

5. kelly gibson says

those are totally gorgeous! you never cease to amaze. i have to add two other favorite flowers to be considered: carnations and ranunculus.

6. J Hill says

Love Spring bulbs, my son and I are forcing some gladiolas in the kitchen as an experiment right now! I love these paper flowers and the Adler-esque vahses are gorgeous too.

7. judy h. says

You rocked these hyacinths! Love ‘em. They have always been one of my favorites. In every house my parents have ever lived, my mother always has these pretty little “smell goods” popping up in early Spring. As an aside, my mother had a cousin named Hyacinth. I don’t think that has anything to do with why she has always planted them. I remember being a little girl, going to family reunions and wondering why every body called that lady Hyacinth.

Aunt Peaches we love this tutorial because we love hyacinths and you make it easy to make them! I don’t want to be a complainer, but, I have clicked on the “Hostess” button a few times and I have yet to have any cupcakes come out of my computer. Do you think you can fix that? Thanks bunches!

9. Meanmomma says

These are fabulous! My Daisy Troop can easily make these. We are making May Day baskets to deliver and I am looking for variety of tissue flowers that they will be able to easily make. Viola, i find your beautiful hyacinths! Thanks

10. Anonymous says

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing to
    your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!

Here is my homepage: how to take vigrx plus