40 Years in the Wildreness and All I Got Was A Sweet-N-Salty Snack

Kiki made Chocolate Toffee Matzah for Passover last weekend, and y’all, I have to tell you: it was phenomenal.
I have had chocolate dipped matzo before, and it was fine, but nothing to talk about. But this. This is amazing. And Kiki says it was easy to make and only took four ingredients. FOUR ingredients. It’s sweet and salty, crunchy and chewy in every bite. And it took FOUR ingredients.
If you have never had matzo before, let me break it down: Matzo/Matzah is the unleavened bread traditionally eaten by Jews during the week-long Passover holiday. It looks and tastes like a giant cracker. Like most good things in Judiasm, it has multiple spellings. You can find it on clearance at your grocery store right now. You should totally try it.
Why do Jews eat matzo for Passover?
As the story goes, after the tenth plague, when pharaoh released the Hebrews, they were so hurried to escape Egypt that they could not pause for the dough to rise.  Hence, at Passover, Jews eat matzah and avoid all forms of leavened foods (most anything made with flour, yeast, wheat, etc.)
Art History Factoid: The books of Mark, Matthew, and Luke all describe the Last Supper as a Passover Seder, as so famously depicted by Leonardo DaVinci, and later, Giampietrino (below). But something is wrong with this picture. Do you see it? (click for larger image)
What the….
Are those Pillsbury biscuits?
Come stop by my site to read the full post!

Comments

1. tracylee says

There’s a cathedral in Cusco, Peru, that has a local artist’s depiction of the Last Supper, but they’re seated at a round table with a cuy (guinea pig) in the center of the dinner spread…

crazy peruvians

ever since I saw that one, I can’t look at the original painting the same way :)

2. Mandy says

I’ve made this with saltine crackers and Hershey bars for parties and presents- always a crowd pleaser but makes a mess of the cookie sheet.

3. Hushgirl says

Whenever I make it for a party, I make a double batch since I wind up eating so much of it myself! So yummy! I have always made this with saltines, I’ll have to try it with the Matzah.

4. nutbirds says

That is a very famous painting in one of the most famous cathedrals in Peru. Judas’ face is that of Pizarro, the hated conquerer of Peru and the last Inca.

5. tracylee says

Yes! I knew there was one other neat thing about it I was forgetting.
    IIRC, it’s freakin massive too, as in.. it takes up nearly a whole wall of this cathedral. Amazing stuff.

6. Paula Cohen says

One of the more delicious matzo/matzoh/matzah concoctions. That and the fabulous Matzoh/ah/a Brei. Mmmm… Seeing as I wed a nice Catholic boy, how did I never notice that Pepperidge Farm delivered to the Last Supper? And where was the gefilte fish?