How to Hang a Picture Without a Hanger

This is one of those posts I hesitate to write because this may already be common knowledge. But, I just polled a couple people and asked them if they knew about this, and both of them looked at me like I had horns. So. At the risk of being redundant, I am sharing this one.

No recollection where I learned this trick, but I use it once a month or more (yes, I hang a lot of pictures). I sort of assumed everybody knew about it, and yet, I always see people trolling the thrift store frame section and flipping each frame and looking for brackets and hangers. If they only knew….

Materials:

• Frame with a cardboard cardboard kickstand (allowing the picture to prop up on a table but not on a wall)
  • Scissors
  • Ribbon or Twine

I left some tails on the ribbon because I like to see it peeping out the top like bunny ears, but you could certainly skip that part. I get it. Not everyone likes bunnies.

These clowns hang over my kitchen door. The one on the left looks a little like Columbo. Then again, so does the one on the right. That Peter Falk knew how to get around.

Come stop by my site to read the full post!

Comments

I had not cone across this idea either – and I had not thought of it myself. My husband detatches the easle part and attaches a bracket or hanger but I like this idea. Thanks for sharing :)

2. Chelle says

Nope, never heard of this before. Yep, this is GENIUS!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing even tho you thought we might already know this!!! You ROCK!!!

Geesh, I can’t believe I didn’t think of this! I have 4 small cheap dollar store frames I was hanging with sticky tack and they all fell down, lol. Thank you so much for sharing this!

4. Springdaleperson says

You’re right some people might not know those simple tricks that make thrifting a cheap decorators dreams come true! Did you knoa that Peter Falk was a painter? Mostly watercolor I think…I would like to have one of his paintingg. Just more thing(channelling my inner Columbo) I love Coumbo!

5. ajp2020 says

LOVE IT! and no, I never knew it either…but I have seen those other little clips that you have to nail onto the back of the picture frame with eensy weensy nails that are almost invisible – that you hit your finger if you try to use a hammer. This is much friendlier and less damaging to your fingers. I like the bunny ears too.

And I like clowns, not scary to me. (although my step-daughter no longer goes to circuses because of the clowns. She does NOT know what she is missing!)

6. Anonymous says

I also hadn’t really considered this idea! I have some cheap dollar store frames that I had leftover from decorating for a party a few years back. I was REALLY resisting attaching the saw-tooth hangers because I knew it would be a pain to do for 8 frames….this is my answer! The cardboard “hangers” that were originally attached to the backing have been ripped for ages, nothing like getting ready for a party that inspires me to fix them up. Thank you for the tip!
    MG

7. Anonymous says

Wow, this is GENIUS! Can’t believe I did not think of this?! Thanks so much, I have been pondering on a solution to this very problem. This is why I love Google and finding lovely blogs such as yours! :)