Happy Birthday Lola!

Many thanks to Anne for the mini cowboy hat. I bedazzled it for the occasion. Lola loves her some bling.  (And cheezburgers.)

Four years ago today I spent the afternoon at The Treehouse, a no-kill, no-cage animal shelter on Chicago’s north side.

And by shelter, I mean mansion.

Yup. It’s just a giant old house with each room filled with 10-20 cats, hanging out, chillin’ on the furniture. It’s hard to find a place to sit with all the kitties running around napping, dancing, and having a good time.

Whoa. Did you hear that? My non-cat-person friends just let out a communal gasp of horror.

Anyway, like I said, it was hard to find a spot to sit so I plopped down in the middle of the floor. Two seconds later, a fluffy sort of tater-tot colored cat walked into my lap, sat down and buried her nose in the crux of my bended knee. I pet her and she purred. I leaned down to let her smell me and she kissed my face. A big black cat came along to inspect, and she violently hissed and swatted him away, as if to say, SHOVE OFF PAL. THIS ONE IS MINE.

We have been together ever since.

I am so lucky she chose me.

Happy birthday, my beautiful Lola.

Comments

1. Cackler69 says

I have a male short hair, just like Lola! ‘cept his black spot is on his nose instead, and looks like he is just a dirty ol’ man! So funny! HaPpY bIrThDaY Miss Lola ☺

Happy Birthday, Lola! One of my boys was born on April 1st, which is apropos. The other one arrived on a day when I was taking an online exam. He was so tiny that he couldn’t get up on my lap without help, but apparently he needed to be there and from there on my desk, where he fell asleep inside my text book! I was flipping pages back and forth around him and he slept through it. Got an A on the exam, too. Now he’s quite large and could only fit in an old-fashioned atlas.

3. Meg C says

Happy Birthday Lola!

My cat, Delainee, turns seven on the 25th. I’m headed to the store to pick out some gifts today :)

4. Thethrillz says

Happy birthday, sweet Lola. And Peaches: Congrats on getting her to wear the hat. The cats had no patience for party hats during my “Whiskers and Waffles” celebration — though they did seem to like the bow ties. :)

5. Lynn says

Happy Birfday, Lola!
    Love yer new cowgirl hat! You’re a jewel or two, even without the hat.
    Happy happy day!
    Hugs,
    Lynn in southern NJ

6. Michelle Bombardier says

Happy birthday, Lola! Wishing you many many cheezburgers! She’s absolutely beautiful and what a great story of her adoption day! (Love the little black dot on her lip…so cute!)

7. ajp2020 says

Happy Birthday, to the most BEAUTIFUL cat that I know who is orange (mine is B&W and he is beautiful too) You both would get along fabulously…. but I do not think he would wear hats…you might have to teach him a trick or two!

Hi Peaches, quick question – what program do you use to make your lovely photo/text mashups/collages? Your image for your ‘Projects’ section in particular. I’d love to be able to play around and be creative on my mac like that but wondered what computer program was best? Thanks! x