Every year I like to come up with a one-size-fits-all homemade item that I can give to everyone. Something that is inexpensive, easy to make in large batches, personal, impressive, but not so time consuming that I'll be offended if they toss it come January. Some years it's a small box of cookies, other years it's a magnet calendar featuring a photo of my cat. You would be shocked how many people take a pass on magnetic cat calendars I tell you. Shocked.
So this year I'm making these little ornaments featuring people's initials. They are special enough to stand on their own, or serve double duty as a package tag. Well color me pragmatic.
- Felt Letters (sold at craft stores and teacher supply stores, or just cut your own out of cardboard)
- Shiny Bits (glitter, beads, rhinestones, sequins, whatever you have on hand)
- Mod Podge (the regular glue-like kind)
- Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (I used two kinds with gold and silver glitter mixed in)
- Wax Paper (optional - for drying)
1. Thoroughly coat each letter with Mod Podge and pile high with sparkly bits. 2. Let dry overnight. 3. Use the Mod Podge Dimensional Magic to draw a line around the edge of the shape and let it firm up a bit (30 minutes maybe?) then go back and fill in the rest.
Mod Podge Dimensional Magic is cool stuff. It not only coats and seals all the little sparkly bits, it thickens up and creates an almost resin-like bubble. It dries hard, super shiny and glittery. Instead of looking like a bunch of sequins glued to a felt letter, the finished result looks like an elegant ornament or funkadelic piece of jewelry. Neato!
I wish you guys could feel these things in your hands. They are smooth and sturdy. I'm confident they will be hanging on someone's tree for years to come.
This is slightly off topic, but this little tip has made glittering a lot easier / less messy. So much easier than messing around with shallow trays or newspaper, and pouring the excess back in the jar is a cinch. Try it sometime.
###Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post using sample products. The fact that I am being paid to write this post has not influenced my opinion in any way. In fact, if I am really being honest here, I am probably going to use the money I am getting paid to write this post to go out and buy more Mod Podge. Circle of life, baby.