$1 Tinsel Purse

I’m not big on dressing for the holidays. Unless it’s an ugly Christmas sweater with a cat on it, in which case, I am down.

This last weekend, sadly, my kitty sweater was at the cleaners. I needed to dress up my usual uniform (black jersey and big earrings) with something festive. Something fun. Something cheap.

Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to present my $1 Tinsel Purse:

This was so easy. I mean, crazy easy. If you can work a hot glue gun, you can make this in under five minutes.

This all started with a brown satin purse that matched a bridesmaid dress from a couple of years ago. It’s actually a pretty nice purse but I don’t have much call for brown ballgowns (unless you count that time I walked to 7-11 to buy a frozen pizza  wearing my bridesmaid dress and flip-flops….but even then I needed a bigger purse to hold my wallet, phone and beef jerky. I know right? Conundrum.)

If you don’t have a bridesmaid purse laying around you could raid your closet or pick one up at the thrift store for a buck. Even the dollar store has cheapo evening purses. The dollar store is where I found this tinsel garland, and they also sell beaded garland too. If your purse did not have a handle it would be easy to substitute for an over-sized bracelet of beaded garland, or heck, why not use a real bracelet?  Doesn’t everyone have a tacky beaded bracelet from their Aunt Thelma? I have three! No offense, Aunt Thelma.

Good for Christmas and New Years shindigs galore.  Party down!

1. Anonymous says

This is soooooo cool!

2. bridget says

it is like a fabulous little hedgehog ready to party! LOVE

3. disqus_rjL7gVLZwI says

This is so fun! I love it!

4. nutbirds says

Very Nice!! I think I would make the preppy version with passamenterie braid and tassels. I couldn’t find my evening bag the other night because I had moved everything around, so I had to take a vintage alligator purse as big as a carpetbag to a dinner. I could have rested my feet on it under the table it was so big.

I absolutely adore this and I think I’m going to make one for myself. :) You have as many choices as there are of tinsels out there! Oh Yea <3

Love it! So simple and fun.
    And, for me, I think it is big enough. It would hold my phone, wallet and a little pack of Skittles. Just enough.

Totally awesome idea, I saw some tinsel clutches that were really expensive and I thought there’s gotta be a cheaper way. And there is! :D
    I really have to try this!