No-Sew Bolero

So, it turns out, that post I wrote about turning a scarf into a shrug was pretty popular. Turns out that everybody wants to cover their shoulders once in a while, and knit cardigans just ain’t cuttin’ it.

Buh-bye, Cardigans!

These boleros are so easy to make. Just snip-snip an old T-shirt and bam-boom-bam, you are like a Old Navy flamenco dancer. Ole!

Just trim the edges, flip it upside down, and slip it on. The fabric that was around the bodice now drapes around the neck and onto the chest.

The secret is to use T-shirts with really big arm holes. I know everyone likes a fitted T, but save those for other stuff. If the shirt is a size too big, that’s even better. Don’t want to use your own shirt? Go to the thrift store. Don’t forget to check the long-sleeved t-shirts in the men’s section too. Tons of them just waiting to be cut up!

Comments

What a pretty drape! Gotta try this. I love the blue, and whoever you got to model (!) is rocking that adorable bolerito!

I couldn’t tell what it is that you cut first. I get the front, but what was trimmed in the 1st photo?

• says

The arrow in the first instruction photo is just showing the before cuts, the second shot (with the lines) demonstrates where to cut. Hope that makes sense ;)

Brilliant! Thanks for sharing. Off to my closet to find a t-shirt to experiment on.

What a cool idea! I never would have thought to wear it upside down! We’ll be featuring this over at Someday Crafts tomorrow :)

5. karen_uminski says

I made one out of a short sleeve purple men’s large T-Shirt. Looks awesome!