Happy Monday: Churches, Cheesecake and Taylor Swift

A list of my favorite distractions from the last week (including these flamingos chillin’ in Antarctica captured by Gray Malin).

gray-malin-flaingos-in-antartica
First things first: who is coming over to my house for Downton Abbey and Oreo cheesecake bites?

The largest church in the Middle East was founded by garbage people and it is beyond rad.

10 Famous Love Song Recipients I’d like to Hear From.

Have you ever heard of a capsule wardrobe? I’m intrigued.

The best time to buy an airline ticket (prices change 3 times a day? wtf?!)

Everyone knows about book clubs, but what about an articles club?*
*HAY. Maybe these Happy Monday posts *are* my one person articles club? Can you even have a club with yourself? But you’re here so it’s not just me. We are a club, you just haven’t shared yet. What? This is so meta.

Shopping malls in all their 80s glory.

Rabbit hole alert: The best of the best crafty dollar store ideas.

Ever need to create a simple contract in a hurry? The Freelancers Union just created this awesome (and free) tool. Just plugin in the essentials and it spits out a contract. Also on the freelancing front, this gal’s pinterest board is busting with great tips.

Taylor swift gave John Cleese a death glare to end all death glares for making fun of her cats. So you know he totally deserved it. GO TAYLOR, GO.

Also, these people might sing Taylor Swift songs better that Taylor and my 5-year-old niece. That’s saying something.

Comments

1. Sue says

Aunt Peaches I just picked up the ‘Room to Create’ magazine at my local Hobby Lobby and there you and your crafty space were!! Love the eclectic feel of your room. Also, happy to be back reading your blog. Happy New Year!

• aunt peaches says

Thanks Sue, glad you are here! I have yet to see the magazine so I’ll trust your recommendation 🙂

• Sue says

Its a great issue with a lot of great spaces and ideas for those of us who have a small corner of the basement!

2. Deb in Oklahoma says

Love the penguin pic. Who even thinks to pack pink plastic flamingos for a trip to Antarctica? Parka, gloves, battery-powered-heated-socks, snow shoes? YES to all. But pink plastic flamingos? That takes creativity (and space on the cargo plane).

And shopping malls in the 80’s! Words cannot describe my reaction to the photos. I was both appalled and thoroughly entertained. The guys looked like total idiots. Egads, what a horrid era for fashion for both men and women.

• aunt peaches says

Gray Malin is an INCREDIBLE photographer…he poses plastic flamingos and balloon flamingos on shoots all over the world. He might even love them more than me! His Antarctica series is stunning. I’ll bet he could make an 80s shopping mall look amazing too 🙂

3. BG says

After checking out the Taylor Swift-John Cleese interview, I checked out an episode from the Graham Norton show featuring Benedict Cumberbatch’s inability to say the word penguin….full circle to the opening photo (if we’re not all blinded by the fabulous flamingos!)..If I were more tech savvy, I’d include the link but you can google the youtube clip.

I just absolutely love your posts Aunt Peaches!

• aunt peaches says

We must be on the same wavelength bc youtube led me to the very same video last night! For all the sexiness that man can muster, how can he not say Penguin? “Pingweeen.”…Yup, still sounds sexy.

Oh the 80’s shopping malls~ Oh how I miss you Musicland! Even if the men’s fashions weren’t exactly “cool” at least they all had their pants covering their a$$crack. I need to stop at Woolco now. Dream on……

5. AnnW says

The shopping mall piece was scary! I spent most of the 80s in New York City, so I missed it, thank God. If I start making twine from my fabrics will you stop me? I might then go on to making those rolled paper beads from all my old Oprah magazines. I think I’ll pack a few flamingos when I go to the Antarctic. Got any other ideas?

• aunt peaches says

Sounds like you have your hands full already! I never the hang of those rolled paper beads, but they sure are pretty.

I’ve been doing the capsule wardrobe thing since September, and I’ve loved it. I got started with the Un-Fancy worksheet you linked to, and I have 30-ish pieces to mix and match. I haven’t gotten bored with any of my clothes yet, and it only takes me a few minutes each morning to decide what I’m going to wear. It’s definitely worth trying! I blogged about creating 31 distinct outfits from my capsule back in October, if you’re interested in taking a look.

• aunt peaches says

It sounds like a great strategy. Do you think you will stick to it for life, or for a designated set of time? I am on a minimizing binge since Xmas (and these are a very rare season indeed!)…so I feel like I might strike while the iron is hot. I love the idea of emptying my closet. They’ll have to pry my accessories from my cold dead hand, but the clothes I can live without.

• says

I do think I will stick with it for life, actually. I am learning that having fewer choices makes choosing much simpler. I’m not a big accessory girl, but don’t think for a minute that paring down your garment selection means you are obligated to cut back on bits and bobs. In fact, having an array of accessories that you love makes coming up with new looks using the same old clothes that much easier. I suggest giving it a shot for 3 months, and see how it goes. Don’t freak out about the exact number of items in your closet. The point is to have only things that you love to wear and figuring out how they can work together. I’ve become quite nerdy about the whole thing, as you may have deduced.

• aunt peaches says

Imma have to look into this some more. I like your idea — 90 days…see what happens.