Swiss Candy Jewelry

I call it Swiss Candy Jewelry because it loosely resembles Swiss cheese and the Haribo Gummi candies they sell all over central Europe.
Similar to the process used in the Sparkling and Melting Flowers, this tutorial uses the magical properties of #6 recyclable plastic.

Materials:
* Five #6 recyclable plastic cups
* Heat source (like a well ventilated oven)
* Chain or wire to use as necklace base and links
* Pliers

Cost: Free for me (I already had cups leftover from a party and an old junk necklace, but I imagine this could be assembled for less than $10)

Time: 60 minutes for the blue statement necklace, 20 minutes for the pink pendant

1.    Remove the bottom and top rim of the plastic glass.
2.    Cut rounded shapes, roughly the size of large rose petals
3.    Punch holes

4.    Warm in oven at 180F (see bottom of previous post concerning plastic in the oven)…watch it carefully, it will shrivel and buckle quickly (mine took 25 seconds)…working in small batches in an outdoor toaster oven would be a good idea
5.    Remove from oven and sift out pieces with at least one sturdy hole towards the top (be prepared to discard quite a few)
6.    Assemble jewelry making supplies, including pliers and chain or wire, long enough for your neck
7.    Link individual pieces on to the chain/wire, making sure that individual pieces curve outward and not directly against your neck (could get itchy)…if you want to know more about basic jewelry assemblage, check out this tutorial
8.    Ta Da!

Variation in pink.  I love the contrast between the round/opaque/ vintage pearls and the very thin/translucent/modern plastic.  Also love asymmetrical jewelry of any sort…try it, it’s not so easy to find the right balance!

Come stop by my site to read the full post!

Comments

I love them both! The aqua is stunning, the pink is delectable. So free form and hip! I went to Alisa’s site and as promised, I was so very happy to find her. Thanks for both things, oh Peachy one.

that is the most stunning thing I have seen in a long, long while. Can hardly believe it comes from something so simple. running out right now to try my hand at it!

I love this idea! It is so beautiful! I love recycled porject

I am linking to this project, on PollyWantaCrafter.com I hope that is cool, it will post Wednesday morning at 7:00 CST.

Thanks for pointing me over to Alisa Burke’s site. Fabulous source of information and inspiration. I do have a question for you about this particular project. Hope it’s ok if I email you, may be too involved to communicate through your comments…thanks so much! Diane

This is so AWESOME!!!! I so wanna try this!! It might be neat as some type of beaded curtain as well, indoor or outdoor, especially when it catches the sun! :)

6. Madwinemad says

Hi I have been trying to make this all day, allthe plastic does is roll up. What am I doing wrong?? Love to make one. Need Help!!!

7. Chariseart says

Help. I tried this with cups that had the recycle symbol with the #6 in the center of them but the plastic is too brittle to cut or punch holes in with a hole punch. It just shatters and cracks. Is all # 6 plastic brittle or am I missing something? I’ve worked with melting water bottles and soda bottles. They cut easily.

8. Anonymous says

Heya terrific blog! Does running a blog like this require a great deal of work?
    I’ve absolutely no understanding of coding however I had been hoping to start my own blog in the near future. Anyhow, should you have any suggestions or tips for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off topic nevertheless I just needed to ask. Many thanks!

Here is my homepage … las vegas golf lessons

9. Anonymous says

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

Feel free to surf to my page :: http://www.salonseeker.com/