Talkin’ Trash

I first moved to Chicago on a crisp and sunny afternoon in late January. The sky was clean, blue and full of potential.

Excited to be living in a big city for the first time, you can imagine my horror as I exited the taxi cab and was forced to haul my suitcases over a stained, discarded mattress.

See, in Chicago, folks like to think they “own” parking spots if they dig their car out of the snow. This “ownership” is communicated by blocking the spot with lawn chairs, old tires, saw horses, broken furniture, etc. They call this ritual “dibs.”

It’s nuts.

I am fortunate enough to not own/need a car, so I can only sit back and chuckle at this seasonal ritual and the, ahem, *neighborly* behavior it brings out of people, including this letter below, posted on a street sign next to someone who decided to claim dibs on the wrong block.

I have no idea who posted it but it made me laugh so much this morning that I was nearly late for work.

Take comfort folks, Spring is nearly here!

Come stop by my site to read the full post!

Comments

I have never heard of this. It’s a little crazy! Well – no snow here, so what do I know? I love the heartfelt letter, oh so polite but with teeth clenched in anger. Grrr…

DIBS! i was surprised by this too. we don’t do this in MN, we just passively agressively leer at people who steal our hard-won shovelin’ spots.
    parking in chicago is a nightmare. when i lived in lincoln park, more than once i would be at work or whatever, leave my parking spot, circle for an hour or more, and return to the spot i had left and walk home. NO JOKE!

I had not heard of this either, how interesting.

I would have been late for work, needing to take a picture of the letter as well to show my hubby! LOVE it. Thanks for sharing.

It’s legal in Boston for 24 hours after a snowfall/snow emergency declaration. Yes, LEGAL! But then they keep doing it for the rest of the winter…

Hilarious! This reminds me of Floridian vacation condos. We’d arise early in the morning and take our coffee out to the terrace to inhale the serenity of the Gulf. A glance downwards would find dibs-types putting towels on lounges… this at 6:30 a.m. Supposedly, the pieces of cloth would hold their spots, all day long… or, at least till after brunch. Such stress for vacation-time!! Didn’t phase us, ’cause we’re beach types; they all could keep their lounges AND the pool. :-)

It was fifty in Upstate NY, today, and I agree – spring IS right around the corner.

6. deb says

I just read your ‘save a parking place’ blog. Pittsburghers have done this forever. I am almost 60 yrs. old and I remember asking my dear Dad why people have chairs in the street?? The neat thing very much like Chicago is that everyone pretty much honors the makeshift space saver. I love it!!