Just found out I now live less than five miles from a plastic flamingo manufacturer.
So, really, this last move was just the mother ship calling me home.
Their website has all sorts of interesting information about flamingos.
Ahem, did you know…
- The Flamingo has little or no sense of smell.
- The Flamingo has been known to fly up to 600km in one night (373 miles).
- Flamingos get their color from carotenoid pigments in their food – shrimp.
- The joint in their leg about halfway up that looks like a backward knee is actually an ankle.
- Flamingos, like most birds, often stand on one leg to keep the foot warm and conserve body heat.
- Flamingos are a very old species of bird that has evolved over 30 million years. Flamingos can drink hot water from geysers at temperatures that are almost boiling.
Oh Flamingos, how I love thee.
Many thanks to Abby Tusing for delivering this marvelous news!