I don't like to set a new year's resolution.
I like to set many new year's resolutions.
And it's not because I'm an over-achiever type, (which, if you know me, is a laughable concept at best).
No--the fact is, if I set one big goal like "give up chocolate" I'll fail before February. Guaranteed. But, if I make 20 or 30 small resolutions, a handful might actually work out. And you can't fight math like that, people.
So, in addition to my typical personal goals to loose weight, live healthier, get organized, and find the perfect possum shaped rhinestone brooch, I thought I would add a list of blog goals for 2012. Then maybe next year at this time I can check off a few and y'all can hound me to get working on the rest!
*** TRUMPET SOUND TRUMPET SOUND: AUNTPEACHES.COM GOALS FOR 2012
1. Learn to properly use my camera's manual mode. See the blurry shooting star images above? Bethcha thought I was all sophisticated and stuff, right? Betcha'd never guess this was my 57th attempt to manually shoot Christmas lights last week.
2. Get a handle on video editing software. So many of the things I want to share don't lend themselves to simple photographs --some simple videos will speed things up big time.
3. Open an online store (ie. Etsy, etc). This has been on my mind for years. This is not likely become a major source of income, but I know how good it feels to make a dollar off of something made with my own two hands. I want more of that feeling. And I like money. So there is that.
4. Take on select sponors. Emphasis on select. As you can see, over in the sidebar, I joined the Blogher ad network last year as a way to underwrite supply costs. But there are a lot of small businesses that could never afford to buy into a major ad network like Blogher. Rest assured, this site will never become some annoying flashy pop-em thing with posts about crap I got for free, BUT, I also know that keeping sponsors will mean I will be obligated to post on a regular basis --instead of my current twice-a-week one week, and ten-times-a-week the following; taking on sponsors will mean this blog turns from a Hobby Thing into a Part-Time Job Thing. This is not something I take lightly, and there may be some bumps in the road, but I'm hoping you will bear with me.
5. Post on a regular basis. I posted gift wrap ideas every Monday in December and it worked out surprisingly well. Now I'm tinkering with the idea of scheduling regular column or two. Let me know if you have any ideas or requests --I'm all ears.
6. Get better at Twitter. I have been on Twitter for over a year but I never really understood what I was doing. I just saw it as a fast-paced, chaotic version facebook. Then I sat down over the holidays and maybe-sorta-kinda figured out the language. Talk about Pandora's box...
7. Get to know you better. This is a big one. See, I have always shied away from meeting people through other blogs for fear they will think me weird and stalkerish. But then I met a few people through my own blog and realized it's not weird at all. If anything, it makes me feel better because then I don't feel like I'm in a one-sided relationship with myself. Fact is, blogging can be narcissistic at times, especially when I realize there are people walking around who know all sorts of ugly personal crap about my life and I don't have any dirt on them at all. It's awkward. It makes me feel like I should just keep my ugly crap to myself, which would be fine, except sometimes I need to let the ugly crap out or I'll go crazy. Literally. So I'm hoping to do a blog conference one of these days, or maybe a smaller-scale craft night closer to my home a little sooner. I'll keep you posted. But in the mean time...