Fun with Freezing Candles

It is currently -12ºF here in Chicago. That’s -24ºC.

Look, it’s never exactly warm here in January, I get that, but it’s NEGATIVE TWELVE, and that’s not counting the windchill. This is something new. I can usually coax myself through cold snaps by reminding myself that there are people in the world who cope with much colder temperatures all winter long. They are called Canadian. All of them. They all live further north than us. I tell myself, If the good people of Saskatchewan can handle this but worse, you can do this. You can do this. If Celine “I made an Anne Geddes calendar on purpose” Dion, can handle this temperature, you can suck it up.

Current temperature in Saskatoon: -10ºF.  This means I can no longer look to the good people of Saskatchewan for inspiration as it is two degrees colder here (!!!!!).

You know, they just don’t make Hallmark cards to commemorate the level of badassery one feels at a moment like this.

But I digress. Let’s take a moment to discuss the benefits of freezing stuff. Like candles.

Want to make your long stem candles last twice as long? Freeze them.

The two candles above came from the same box, have been burning for the same amount of time (90 minutes), same location, same everything….except the candle on the left spent 24 hours in the freezer before it was lit. It lasts longer and dribbles less. I think this is because it takes more time for the flame to bring the wax up to liquid temperature. Or something like that. I’m not really sure. It’s just a cool trick to get you through a long dinner party (or a power outage – knock on wood!).

Come stop by my site to read the full post!

Comments

This post needs to be about where I can get those candle holders. At first, I thought they were chicken paws that you turned into candle sticks and that the post was about how one of the legs was frozen and the other was raw… or something.

2. Lisa says

Hey, I live in NW Montana and it never even makes the news when we get really cold. We hit -25 (without windchill) the week after Thanksgiving and not even a mention. Real cold here too the last couple of days. It’s nice to have people to b-tch about it with for a change!

Hi Peaches, I am Canadian, through and through, but I live in southern BC, near Vancouver and today it is 4C or 39F at 8am. Just saying. We almost never get down to -10C let alone Fahrenheit. Come for a visit.

Heather M.

Celine can’t handle the cold anymore, she permanently exported herself to Vegas a while ago. I don’t think most of us miss her of her calenders. Think layers Peaches! And remember there are upsides: when is that cold, you can freeze you candles (or ice cream!) on your back deck. In case of a big party (or a power outage, knock knock indeed).

p.s. It’s that cold where I am in Ontario, and we also got 2 feet of snow in one day. I have to shovel paths in my backyard so my dog can run out to pee.

5. Deb in Oklahoma says

Sounds like you’ve just invented a new Snow Day Fun-With-Science game: “What sort of random stuff can we freeze and then see what happens when (and if) it thaws?” The candle thing is worth trying.

And that kind of crazy-ass weather is why I’m glad I’m livin’ the life in the Southern Plains–we barely hit single digits and then get our tails back up to the 30’s, where it should be in mid-January! Keep warm, girl

Sorry to hear that you seemed to have inherited our Saskatchewan weather in Chicago. At least it’s 28F there now! It’s 16F in Saskatoon, although it should be warmer still this week!

Thanks for the great tips!