Swedish Easter Tree

Guess who got their påskris  on this weekend?

YEAH BUDDY.

Initially I was going to stick to strictly feathers, but then Kristina (who is Swedish) left a comment on last week’s post:

As a kid, the best part about easter was creating the ornaments for påskris (not the feathers, you buy them, but painted eggs, paper roosters, pipe cleaner witches, crochet catkins, yarn ball chickens and all of that).

And that was that.

I had to load up this tree. I’m still not 100% on what a crochet catkin looks like, but y’all, I will have it on next year’s tree. Paper roosters too. For now we will have to stick with egg ornaments — this much I can handle on the fly.

The base vessel was made from attaching several empty plastic bottles together (click here for a blast from the past)

Comments

1. Mary Jo at Trustyourstyle says

You always do the best fun holiday crafts–this one is a work of art! LOVE!

xo Mary Jo

p.s. make sure to enter my $100 shopbop contest!

2. nutbirds says

A catkin is a cattail that grows in the marsh. It looks like a small brown hotdog. You work on those, and I’ll work on the pipe cleaner witches. Very impressive! Do you like natural feathers, or the really bright ones? You could have all your readers send in a feather for next year.

I just wrote about hotdogs growing on trees! (my dad)…. now I *need* to make some catkins. I NEED TO!
    You know, I bought a pack of natural brownish turkey/guinea fowl type feathers on my home specifically to temper the rainbow feathers I had at home, but when I opened the bag they were in very bad shape. Not cleaned properly. Still stuck together at the tips –gross. Smelled bad too. On the upside, Lola went crazy for the two I let her play with. She enjoys the hunt!
    What about pipe cleaner witches?!?!
    I like this idea of collecting from people –that would be a sight to see!

What about pipe cleaner witches?!?!
    I like this idea of collecting from people –that would be a sight to see!

I cannot believe you came over to comment on my Star Wars Eggs and didn’t tell me about this absolutely awesome ridiculousness over here! This påskris is incredible – I want one so badly now and I didn’t know what it was moments ago! So glad to find your blog.

6. Yvonne says

I agree 1000% with Michele regarding the paskris—could I possibly make one in the 40 hours remaining before Easter? hmmm. Anyhoo, I stumbled over to your blog from AT and can’t believe how awesome it is! I will be back for more soon and plan on stalking you on Pinterest. Happy Easter to you!
    Yvonne M