Before the Sauce

From the late 1970’s I think — an end of summer haul of buckets and bags of tomatoes.
Caption on back reads “Before the sauce.”
I spotted a display case of mason jars at the grocery store yesterday – a sure sign of autumn in Middle America. The very site of such a thing gets my sweaters all aflutter; Canning jars? Beach gear on clearance? And right next to the candy corn? Yessss!
Growing up we always canned tomatoes. Lots of them. And not because we were Italian (don’t I wish) but because it was the only thing that ever grew in abundance that was worth preserving. I tried canning some store-bought tomatoes a few years ago but it just wasn’t the same. Plus, each jar ended up costing about three times what it costs to buy a jar Paul Newman’s sauce…and then Paul Newman went and died and I felt more obligated than ever to buy his sauce. This year I thought I would try my hand at homegrown again but they all disappeared off the vine before I got a chance to set them aside. I blame the squirrels. Or the slugs. Or maybe it’s a trickle-down effect of global warming. Or…zombies.
***
I’m taking a break through the end of August and posting nothing but pictures… Details here.

Comments

1. michelle l says

Hahaheee! Love that poster! I am making pickles this weekend, so excited! Sorry you didn’t get to can this year…next year, in Jerusalem, okay?

2. Kara DeCarlo says

We have a pear tree and I was looking forward to canning pears this fall. Unfortunately the squirrels decided the tree was a buffet and ate ALL of the pears. For two months, I was hauling a 5 gallon bucket of half-eaten pears to the compost EVERY DAY. I didn’t used to have feelings about squirrels. Now I hate them.

3. Kara DeCarlo says

Try the book “Canning for a New Generation” by Liana Krissoff
    It has small batch canning (like 6 pounds of fruit at a time) so you can hit the sales and make some really yummy stuff.

Hmmm… I will have to try it. I thought canning was an old fashioned traditional thing — but I am up for a new approach!

5. Stacy L says

My brother swears the zombies are coming…or maybe its just the squirrels. I dunno but him and his wife are squirrelin away alot of stuff! I have lots of jars. lol I pick em up for a nickel here and there but alas…they are all empty. So I make tea lights and such. Now thats canning!

6. Mary says

No, Peaches, it wasn’t the zombie squirrels. It’s my dog, Riley, aka the reason I have no peppers or zucchinis this year :/

7. Laura Lupton says

I really want to try canning but need things to can and am worried about not getting it right. I have got my heart set on making refrigerator dill pickles but am not sure I can justify the cost vs just buying them….

8. Guest says