Thrift Store Calling: Paper Sorters Gone WIld

A couple weeks ago I asked folks on facebook What is the one item you can never pass up at the thrift store?”

Some people said shoes or purses or linens. Others said gloves or blankets or crockery.

Me? I like the office supplies.

Yes, office supplies. There is usually a whole isle of them in every thrift store and hardly anybody goes there. Most stuff costs a dollar (or less) and I always come away with something nifty. My favorite thing: paper sorters. All styles and varieties. Chances are, if there is a paper sorter in the store and it’s not covered in schmutz, it’s coming home with me. Don’t care where or how — I will find a ways to use it, goshdarnit.

Since I am still not in my crafty swinging stride just yet, I thought I would whirl around the house this morning and show you guys a few of my paper sorters in action. This isn’t all of them, just the photogenic ones. Come by in person to rifle through my cupboards and you’ll find a bunch more. It’s like a family. Maybe a cult. A thrifty cult I can’t say no to.

PS: That thing about the freezer shelves is especially handy for storing winter soups flat (see here).

Okay. Now I have fessed up and told you what I can’t resist. Now it’s your turn; what is the one thing you can never pass up at the thrift store?

Comments

I’m trying hard to not go crazy at thrift stores! I’ve got too much junk!!! But, I always look for vintage clothing I can refashion!! And ceramic owls I can spray paint. Old vintage t-shirts.

I usually glom onto any nice flannel sheets, because we live at the rainy beach. I buy any cheap clothing with unique buttons. I also consider the coffee mugs. Then I scan the books for any interesting one. And I’m a sucker for any hand built pottery. And I’m always on the lookout for any smallish oil paintings, the weirder the better.

4. Jillian (Birds and Baking) says

I read this the other day and then finding myself near 2 thrift store yesterday I couldn’t resist going in and checking out the office supplies– the tray and the ziploc bag/foil/etc storage ideas are great– but the selection in my town seems to be lacking. I have a hard time passing up on small wooden things I can paint (e.g. shelves, jewelry boxes), bird stuff, and creamer-sized pitchers. And nice tins. And… you get the idea.

Uh oh — your local thrift stores need to look into their office supply selection. It’s usually one of the largest (and least looked at) at my local shops, which is probably why I like hanging out in that isle so much.

6. lucasuk82 says

China – I have two patterns that pop up regularly (Creative and Engagement). At this point, I could seat about 40 for dinner, no joke. Also, ties and chinoiserie.

7. Dom says

Love the paper tray as a shelf for the ziploc bags etc. But the best one by far is for the trays!! What a great idea Peaches – am definitely keeping an eye out for the office supplies now :)