10 Minute Marker Caddy

I was using permanent markers to work on a project over the weekend (more on that later). Over the course of the afternoon I got so fed up with hunting for markers in various drawers and old coffee cups (you know the ones), that I halted the project for ten minutes to create a marker caddy.

I know, sounds nerdy. Marker Caddy. But it’s actually pretty handy.

To make it, I just took an empty shoe box and some toilet paper tubes cut to the same height as the box, then stuck them into the box together standing up. No glue, no nothing. They stay up fine on their own and I like that they can move a little to accommodate the pens, pencils and markers that will be coming in and out over the years to come.

Well gosh, don’t I feel handy.

Come stop by my site to read the full post!

Comments

Great idea! Do you drink V8? :-) Because I feel like I should hit myself, “why didn’t I think of that”. Oh well, I’m sure glad you thought of it & shared it! Thank You!

2. Maria from Whitestone, NY says

Great idea! Thanks- I started making one last night!
    I have 3 kids and this will be great for them because they always lose their markers and crayons!!
    Thanks

Thanks! Plastic frozen juice jars may work also. I have been told not to use TP rolls at school due to slight traces of germs on them due to where ithey are meant to be used.

4. Gemma Ash says

so clever but simple. LOVE this. I have lots of markers/colored pencils but I’m thinking this would be a cool idea for my mother in law who paints…keep her brushes in it as well.

5. sara says

brilliant Peaches, keep those ideas coming! Now if you could just help me with a jumbo version to organize all my stuff, that would be great!

6. IanWilson says

That looks marvelous. But, what brand of shoes come in this box? I feel like it would look a tad bit ghetto if I used any of the shoeboxes I currently have.

7. Kathy says

A great way to organize all those markers! They will “keep” longer and also write & draw bettr if you store them points down.

That is a good point. Most of my markers are cheapo…but I do recall buying some expensive illustration markers that would do better upside down. Then again, so many markers are double sided these days! Horizontal storage is no fun…

Oooo — good point. I have a whole drawer devoted to crayons and pastels that could use some organization.

10. Anonymous says

Awsome idea i used a empty ramen noodle box an wraped it in some atractive paper and its awsome i was able to organize three whole drawers in the one little idea ty

11. Brandy Rosmarin says

Thank you so much! I am a site coordinator for an elementary school extended day program run by the Deluca YMCA in Central FL. This is a GREAT idea for all their markers and colored pencils as well as paint brushes. I am going to make several of them and have the kiddies help me decorate them!

I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your caddy! You can see it here:

If you have other kid-friendly crafts, we’d love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a wonderful project idea!

so simple and handy…and I love that you just happen to have 18 empty toilet paper tubes just waiting to be used. Either you have kids and a husband that have no clue what to do when they reach the end of a roll and so there are at least 3 or 4 sitting around in any given bathroom, or you keep them all and never throw anything away that “might be used someday”. I can relate to either :-)

Trackbacks