The Real WInnie-the-Pooh

Did you know that Winnie-the-Pooh was a real teddy bear owned by a real boy named Christopher Robin? Read about it here. Or better yet, go to the New York Public Library and see them for your yourself.

***
I’m taking a break through the end of August and posting nothing but pictures… Details here.

Comments

1. Heather M. says

But did you know that Winnie was a real bear? Winnie (or Winnipeg) was named after the Manitoba city. He was bought from a hunter by “Lt. Harry Colebourn of The Fort Garry Horse, a Canadian cavalry regiment, en route to the Western Front during the First World War. The bear was smuggled into Britain as an unofficial regimental mascot. Lt. Colebourn, the regiment’s veterinarian, named her after his home city of Winnipeg, Manitoba. Before leaving for France, Colebourn left Winnie at London Zoo.” (From Wikipedia) It was after this bear that Christopher Robin named his teddy bear.

And, Grace Louise, in Canada we are not allowed to proceed without knowing this!
    Heather M.

2. Emily Miller says

Hi, I’m a doctoral Student at Appalachian State University working on my dissertation. I am studying craft practices among women and would LOVE it if you might participate. I have included a link below to a survey and description of my research. Please feel free to pass it on to other women artist/crafters who you know.
    Thanks so much,
    Emily Miller.

3. Amy Castillo says

I grew up being read and then reading the original Winnie the Pooh stories. I loved them so much I named my first child Christopher Robin I had said since I was about 6. Good thing for him he was a boy!

In Britain, that piece of information is pretty much part of the school curriculum I’m sure! Haha. I’m sure we’re not allowed to proceed in life without knowing this!

5. nutbirds says

I thought we had to give Pooh back to the British. They are very unhappy that we have him. Call first before visiting

6. Kirsty Skilbeck says

I did not know that! what a beautiful picture.

Aw. That totally makes me want to go to NYC and see them!