Confetti Cake Toppers

Cold evenings in late February. Cottage pie with friends. King cake for an appetizer. Chocolate cake for dessert. Paper valentines on the walls. Mardi Gras beads on the door. Paper hats on our heads. There is so much to celebrate…

Cake Logic

I have a five minute rule about cake decorating. It goes like this:

“No spending more than five minutes on decorating a cake.

I really built the lead-up on that one, didn’t I?

See, I don’t think I, or anyone for that matter, will spend more than five minutes eating a slice of cake. And by that logic, that means I will spend less than five minutes appreciating a cake. And by that logic, why would I, or anyone else for that matter, spend a whole afternoon making something that will be consumed and destroyed in a speck of moments.

This is what I call cake logic.

This is why I like about cake toppers – they dress up any cake and you get a keepsake at the end of the night. And in this case, even if you toss the topper out, nobody has to feel bad about it because it did not cost any time or money to make. Huzzah much?

The idea for these cake toppers piggy backs on THIS tutorial for hot glue hearts I made for Elizabeth Banks’ blog last week. If you saw it already you can probably skip this post. If not, click here to check it out yourself.

You saw the first tutorial? Okay. Great. (Temporary Update Feb 2014: Sorry if that link does not work right now. Elizabethbanks.com transferred to a Tumblr site and the URL was never transferred. I’m told they will update it, but in the meantime, just read the rest of the post. I think you’ll get the crux of it. Thanks guys!) (Another update March 2014: click here to find it courtesy of the wayback machine)

Can you see where this is going?

Materials:

Let’s get this party started, shall we?

Lay your parchment paper on a flat surface and start drawing with the glue gun. Need a template? Use a pencil to write down any number or shapes first.

While the glue is still hot (read: work quickly) insert a toothpick in the base. Then go back over it with another round of glue and dump the whole thing with confetti. See any bald patches? Go back with more glue, more confetti. Lather, rinse, repeat. Assuming you already have some confetti ready to go, this will take you 90 seconds tops.

So that was easy. But why stop at numbers? How about letters? For you initials…or maybe a secret message?

Next birthday I’m going to spell out my whole name in confetti and cake. Who is with me?

Come stop by my site to read the full post!

Comments

You could extend this idea and do it with melted chocolate instead of hot glue and sprinkles instead of confetti! (Because I also have a rule about cake decorating that everything on the cake apart from the candles should be edible)

You could extend this idea and use melted chocolate and sprinkles instead of hot glue and confetti! (My rule about cake decorating is that everything on the cake should be edible,although I have yet to find edible candles)

haha! i love your cake logic. it’s so true – we need to force our guests to spend 6 hours eating their cake slice.

these confetti guys are AWESOME! sweet tutorial and thanks for sharing! xo

I’m the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your cake topper! You can see it here:

If you have other kid-friendly crafts, we’d love it if you would submit them. If you would like to display a featured button on your site, you can grab one from the right side bar of your post above. Thanks for a clever project idea!

Yo, the ‘check it out yourself’ link to your post on Elizabeth Banks’ blog led me to a Tumbler sign-in screen. When I signed in, it said “f___ off!” Thought you ought to know!

6. Anonymous says

Aunt Peaches, how does one ensure these don’t turn out floppy at the top? I’m not crafty, so I might have made a basic glue gun mistake. I’m hoping if I just wait long enough, it will harden!

• says

The thicker the hot glue the more rigid it will turn out. Do three or four lines on top of each other if needed. Also, don’t move the glue before it dries 100% — that seems to effect floppiness. Also, keep the numbers fairly small — no bigger than your hand. Any bigger than that and you’ll want some wires or long toothpicks for support. Good luck!

7. Jenn says

When I click on the Elizabeth Banks link, it wants me to sign in to tumblr – I don’t have an account, and I can’t find the tutorial by just looking on her blog – is there any other way to access it? I want to make these for table numbers for my wedding and I wanted to refresh my memory about how to make them, and want to be sure I’m not missing something from the first post! Thank you!

• says

Yeah, they switched platforms. The link went dead and they have been unresponsive on updating it or releasing content to me to publish here — sorry. It’s pretty much the same concept but in a simpler format. You aren’t missing much. Fingers crossed it will come back.