Box’n and Cookie Swap’n

Cookie swaps are just about my favorite thing in the world. They are like a potluck party but instead of bringing food everyone brings cookies, and instead of leaving drunk and tired everyone leaves with…wait for it…more cookies.

What is not to like?

I have been cookie swapping with a handful of former co-workers for a few years now. Back then it started as a practical way to generate a variety of baked goods without all the cooking — just a few people exchanging tupperware boxes in the office kitchen one Friday….now it’s grown, and since hardly any of us work in the same place anymore, it’s a good excuse for a get-together. Cookies + old friends = good time.

Unfortunately, not everyone on the planet can come to my house to swap cookies (maybe next year, guys). Until then, it’s nice to give cookies to family and friends sans party.

I love giving and receiving little bundles of cookies but sometimes storage can be a pain. Paper plates covered in foil or plastic wrap are fine for transportation, but they don’t do a very good job of keeping things fresh sitting out on the counter. Disposable tupperware boxes are nice but they aren’t exactly pretty to look at (or good for the environment). What do you do?

Save your boxes, that’s what you do.

The empty cardboard boxes from rolls of foil or parchment are great for exchanging baked goods. When lined with wax paper they keep cookies and bars neatly in place, plus, now the recipient can put the whole box directly in their cupboard or bread box. No fuss. No mess. No stale or broken cookies. Huzzah!

To make these, I just used a little bit of craft paint to dress up the outside then covered the metal “tear strip” (that sharp thing along the edge of the box) with a little bit of washi tape. In retrospect I could have saved the washi tape and covered the metal strip with masking tape and then painted right over the whole darn thing, but you know…learning curve.

I am still due for another round of baking later this week. Anyone have a favorite recipe to recommend? I’m on the lookout for a no-fail somethingorother that comes out crispy. I’m good on the chewy and chocolate fronts, but a crispy cookie would be nice. Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Frances says

I just LOVE this idea! I bake a lot of Christmas cookies and I make lots of Christmas candy, what a great way to send them!! box em up stack em all in a bigger box an mail them off!! easy peasy!

these boxes are brilliant! I’ve been on a cookie bender and have run into the same gifting problem. I will definitely start to save my boxes! My favorite crispy, crunchy cookie right now is a Almond Crescent cookie from America’s Test kitchen. They are crunchy but break down into a very fine texture when you eat.

Your packaging idea is genius! Shared it on Facebook.

Now down to business – Ones and Twos (crunchy peanut butter cookies)

1 c. creamy peanut butter
    1 c. melted butter
    1 c. sugar
    1 c. brown sugar
    2 eggs
    2 T. vanilla
    2 t. baking soda
    2 c. flour
    1/2 t. salt
    1 c. chopped salty peanuts – optional

Mix first 6 well with beaters. Sift in next 3 and mix to form dough.. Fold in peanuts. Make a log shape and roll in waxed paper. Let sit in fridge overnight. Cut out slices and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

PS – cookies that use butter as opposed to vegetable shortening tend to be crispier.

The old wax paper boxes were far too small for my cookies so I had to cute down some old ceral boxes but it worked great and they turned out so cute! Thanks for the great idea. =D

What smart presentation!

Ones & Twos Peanut Butter Cookies (my family’s Christmas favorite)
    1 c. melted butter
    3 T. vanilla extract
    1 c. sugar
    1 c. brown sugar
    2 egg
    2 t. baking soda
    2 c. flour
    1/2 t. salt
    optional – 1 c. salted peanuts chopped up

Mix together first five. Sift together remaining (except peanuts). Mix well, fold in peanuts if using. Roll dough in wax paper and refrigerate overnight. Cut slices and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

These bake out to be kind of thin and really, really crispy. Have always been the first to go wherever they go…

5. palak says

You have the best ideas! These would be great for a variety of sweets. BTW– after looking for my glue gun and glue for 45 minutes, I’m ready to make tinsel donuts for our tree. Wish me luck!

6. Anonymous says

What a great idea on the boxes. Wouldn’t you know I just mailed cookies today and read this tonight. I did save some Slim Fast cans (powdered stuff) and used Christmas tissue paper sitting them and typed up the name of the cookie on colored paper and glued it on with some embellishments.

7. Amanda says

Russian Tea Cakes are great little cookie! Not super sweet, and the nuts give them a great crunch! I just made the recipe from Pillsbury.com and they came out great!

This box idea is just perfect! I was just wondering how I was going to send some cookies to my mom for Christmas this year and this is perfect!!

Trackbacks