Funky Christmas

trinket-tree-pink-682
My friend Noeleen was over last week and we got bored and didn’t have wine slushies or armadillo dip. So what did we do? We put up another damn tree. I told myself I wasn’t going to put pictures on the blog until all my decorations were up, but some things are too good to not share.
trinket-pom-pom-tree-682
Because, as much as I liked putting up that other Christmas tree for Michael’s, all that Pottery Barn style normaility made me itch to put up something a little more…home grown. Unconventional. Funky. Yes, I think that’s the best word to describe it: funky.
jame sbrown funky christmas

Sing it, James Brown!

hot-pink-straws-christmas-himmeli-tree-682
Also, I had some leftover copper molds from the kitchen. Not enough to cover a wall, but too many to sit in a box. Kiki suggested they might make great Christmas ornaments and I was inclined to agree. Initially I was thinking it would be fun to keep the tree ‘kitchen’ themed by adding copper scrubbers (3 for a buck at Dollar Tree – and totally useable after Christmas)…but then I’d have to keep it in the kitchen, but I learned my lesson on that last year. Last thing I ever want in my kitchen is a tree. It takes up too much floor space, and even as a hardcore glitter enthusiast, I don’t want it in my dishwasher. Plus, this tree just looked so cool and colorful, I thought it would look nice on the black and white stripe dresser in the living room, slapped on an old sequin skirt that no longer fits my ass, and called it a day.

copper-pudding-mold-christmas-tree-682
Just about everything on this tree is crazy cheap or repurposed from another area of the house. Plastic straws play a heavy part — I’ll show you how to make those later.
drinking-straw-tree-682
Recently, I have been on a yarn tassel binge. They are a great, compact craft for all occasions. If you are anticipating a long trip to granny’s house for Thanksgiving, I suggest you bring tassel makings to keep you company. They are easy to make and your relatives will be really impressed (and/or drunk and/or too strung out on football) and leave you alone to make tassels with the cat in the corner.

trinket-tree-682
The glue that binds all this fantastic Christmas fun together is the pompom pinecones. If you like a funky tree like me (and James Brown, rest his wig wearing soul), I suggest you look into getting yourself some pompom pinecones. They are really easy to make.

pom-pom-pinecones-tree-funky-682

Click over here to get the skimmy!

pom-pom-pinecones-682

Ooooh. Pretty colors!

Comments

1. Amy says

Sweet, I’m totally making those pom pom pine-cones to add to the tree this year (and they will go fabulously with the pom pom straw garland from last year). I’m really digging the black and white buffalo check gingham ribbon, I think I may have to pick up a couple of yard to use as a tree skirt for my tree. And I know I’ve said it before, but I have to say it again I love that black and white dresser (it was what lead me to your blog so very long ago). This is my favorite tree of yours so far this year that is till the flamingo’s fly in, and then I might change my mind.

• aunt peaches says

I have the same opinion — my fav so far, but the flamingos…well. There is a reason I save the best for last 😉

2. AnnW says

OMG! Sacrilege! Despoiling good pinecones with pom-pons! I have to go have a contraband Diet Dr. Pepper to calm down. I think you need a meeting. Crafters Anonymous.

• aunt peaches says

Craftaholics Anonymous is actually a pretty good site. And I LOVE my pinecones.

3. Chris says

I really like your tree. It’s beautiful, unique and gives off a lot of creative energy.

Every time I see that lobster mold in one of your photos, I think it’s a, erm, adult themed mold at first. I’m sorry for my brain.

• aunt peaches says

Ha! I have heard that one before 😉

Absolutely love the glitter pompom pine cones!
    And the tassels. Your first tassel post should have come with a warning: more addictive than heroin.
    I am still making them, and I can’t seem to stop! I keep searching for new ways to use them, so far I have added them to my dream catcher, my light fittings and made a garland. Other plans are for my Christmas tree, another light fitting, a blanket edged with them, possibly a wreath, and now I’ve seen your napkin rings, some of those too.
    Any further suggestions would be welcome, and if you know of a good tassel-makers 12 step program…….

• aunt peaches says

Ha! Great minds think alike 🙂 I am a bit addicted too. I started keeping a stash of yarn and paperback books next to the sofa so I can make tassels while watching trash TV. Makes me feel all useful and stuff. I’ll let you know if I can think of any other cool ways to use them….it’s bound to happen!

6. Susan Harper says

Hey- What a hoot! I love your crazy tree! Ok- I’m the person that you sent the flamingo straws to last summer- still thanking you for that- and I bought you some copper molds at an Estate Sale last weekend. I want to send them to you!!! One is a bunch of grapes, I think, and the other is a cornucopia!! Email me and we can figure it out! Thanks-S 1sharper@suddenlink.net

7. Deb in Oklahoma says

Pom Pom Pine Cones! Pom Pom Pine Cones! That’s going to be my go-to phrase for this holiday season, replacing Tough Tinsel, when I need a good all-purpose replacement expletive. And then I think I’ll MAKE some of these little packages of festiveness because they are so darn cute (with glitter, but of course).

The straw-bursts (that’s a combo straw/star burst) are truly funky, and I like them. Thanks for the cool ideas!

• aunt peaches says

Glad you like the straw bursts — I’m thinking about doing a little tutorial, but I suspect crafty types like you already know the how-to 😉

• Helen says

I really can’t figure out how to make the drinking straw starbursts. Please, a little tutorial?
        I’ll need something to make once my house is overflowing with tassels!

8. Erik says

Am breathless…have no more room for copper molds…then again, maybe! As for tassels; I am afraid! Very afraid! You may have lead me to the dark side, Madame Peaches!!

• aunt peaches says

Come to the dark side, Erik! The tassels are waiting…

9. Patty says

I really love the Michaels tree you put up, but this is so “you”! Fabulous!

• aunt peaches says

Shhh. You known darned well I was listening to it yesterday!

Truly imaginative and creative, love these ideas!

Trackbacks

1. […] to really mix it up this Christmas? Aunt Peaches has your solution with Funky Christmas, a fabulous mix of fun DIY ornaments and decorating […]

2. […] I made those yarn bobbles last year, I have been looking for places to hang tassels (did you see my Christmas tree?) When the folks at Etsy approached me about sharing a mega tassel tutorial, I was keen to do it. I […]

3. […] Metal Stamped Jewelry 4. Faux Snow with Collage Clay via Cathie Filian and Steve Piacenza 5. Aunt Peaches Wild Christmas Tree via Aunt Peaches 6. Faux Coral Centerpiece via Mark Montano 7. Driftwood Wreath via My […]